About us Subscription | Guest Book | Contact us

 

News & Views on the Revolutionary Left



Blackout creates security threat in Bastar

RAIPUR: Security forces in Chhattisgarh have been put on high alert to prevent any Naxal attack following a blackout in Bastar region after Naxalities blasted three high tension transmission towers.

Intelligence and jail authorities have received inputs that taking advantage of the darkness and communication problems due to power failure in the entire Bastar region, Naxalites could attack some vital installations including jails to take out their associates, officials said on Sunday.

Since it would take another ten days to restore the power, the jail headquarters reviewed the situation and directed all the jails of that area to shift the jail inmates, who are accused of being Naxalites, to safer places to prevent any jail break, jail department officials said.

As a part of that at least 60 such accused of Dantewada district jail, involved in Naxal related violence, have already been shifted to Jagdalpur Central jail, the officials said.


The jail Department had so far identified 182 such people, who had been housed in various jails of Bastar region on charges of involvement in Naxal violence and the authorities have been directed to take permissions from the local court to shift them to safer places, they said.

The Maoists had earlier unsuccessfully attacked some jails, including Narayanpur jail, when there was no power in the area and the current blackout could provide them with an opportunity, they said.

The Times of India

Labels: ,

posted by Resistance 6/04/2007 10:54:00 AM,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Create a Link

<< Home

Previous posts


Previous posts

Posts(atom) Home