Thousands protest against black law & demands release of Dr. Binayk Sen
Tuesday, May 29, 2007
Raipur 29 May, 2007
Thousands of workers, farmers, tribals, dalits, women, youth & children gathered in Raipur (Chhattisgarh) on 28th May 2007 to protest against the black law: Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act, 2005 (CSPSA) and the arrest of Dr. Binayak Sen, General Secretary of Chhattisgarh PUCL & Vice-President, National PUCL under the highly controversial provisions of the CSPSA. The daylong protest demonstration was organized by the United Front of Chhattisgarh People’s Movement that included Chhattisgarh Mukti Morcha (CMM), Nadi Ghati Morcha, EKTA PARISHAD, Baiga Mahapanchayat, Chhattisgarh Mahila Jagriti Sangathan (CMJS) & Chhattisgarh Bal Shramik Sangathan (CBSS).
Close to 6 thousand people from all over Chhattisgarh participated in the daylong dharna, rally and public meeting raising their voice against the police harassment of the Human Rights & Social Activists working for the rights of the people, especially the tribals, dalits, women, bonded & child labourers, workers, farmers, minorities, etc. They also demanded that the Government should immediately stop their anti-people’s policies and adopt a pro-people’s agenda where the land, water, forest, seeds, and other natural resources are collectively owned by the people, and basic facilities like employment, health, education, drinking water, etc are made available to the people as their fundamental right & not a commodity.
Prominent amongst those who provided leadership at the United Protest Demonstration were Mr. Janak Lal Thakur, Mr. Sheikh Ansar & Mr. Ganesh Ram Chaudhary of CMM; Mr. Gautam,
of Nadi Ghati Morcha; Mr. Ratneshwar Nath of EKTA PARISHAD; Ms. Shashi Sail of CMJS, Mr. Lakhan Singh, Journalist, Mr. SK Patel of Mukti-Niketan & Ms. Kumud Nandgave of CBSS.
1. Withdraw all false cases against Dr. Binayak Sen and release him immediately.
2. Repeal the Chhattisgarh Special Public Security Act, 2005.
3. Stop police harassment of Human Rights & Social activists, media persons, intellectuals working for the rights of the people, especially the tribals, dalits, women, bonded & child
labourers, workers, farmers, minorities, etc.
4. Stop Salwa Judum & other anti-tribal activities, and withdraw Naga battalion, Mizo battalion & Central Security forces from Bastar.
5. Stop displacement from forest and implement Schedule Tribe and Traditional Forest Dwellers Land Rights Bill (Forest Rights Recognition Act) 2006.
6. The tribals of Bastar should have collective ownership over the natural resources of Bastar, and the attack on their democratic rights should be stopped immediately and the model of development should be based on the principles of social justice and equality.
A protest demonstration is also being organized on 31st May 2007 by the Chhattisgarh PUCL against the Black Laws and the arrest of Dr. Binayak Sen.
Venue : KHALSA SCHOOL, near Pandri Bus stand, Pandri Accommodation: Pastoral Centre, near Holy Cross School, Baron Bazar Contact Person : Adv. Sudha Bhardwaj (mobile: 099266-03877)
This in appeal to all democratic organizations & peace loving citizens to join forces in defence of Democracy & Freedom. We will make an attempt to keep you informed on the future activities.
posted by Resistance 5/29/2007 10:40:00 PM,